Sunday, February 27, 2005

Check out Jay Flemma's North Carolina tour

XX

While I'm busy spending the day trying to churn out two stories for publication (one of Canada's great lost golf courses and another on the world's most exclusive golf courses), I'm going to avoid writing today and point you instead toward Jay Flemma's updated A Walk in the Park. Jay's having great fun writing about golf (his real job is as a noted music lawyer) and he's documenting his trip to North Carolina, including Dan Maples' The Pit, Mike Strantz's Tobacco Road and Mid-Pines in Pinehurst.

I'll be back tomorrow -- enjoy what remains of your weekend. DiMarco versus Toms, anyone?

3 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Erik J. Barzeski said...

We didn't play Beechtree.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger A WALK IN THE PARK said...

Hi Robert and hello to everybody reading Robert's site. Thanks for the props. I had a fantastic time meeting and learning from Dan Maples and playing Tobacco Road, The Pit and Mid Pines. As I thought, Mid Pines was low impact. Very subtle....profoundly so as the course was built in 1910 and looks remarkably the same. It is short...under 6200 for men, 6500 for pros. Fairways were wider than I expected and the greens were not anywhere near as pronounced as at Shenacossett, Pinehurst or other Ross designs I know. The hog backs were dialed down a notch. the draw is the fact that the club is OLD SCHOOL. The hotel, lockers, accoutrments, everything was a step back in time...including the design. It is a nice change of pace...leisurely and refined. Still, it was not as dynamic as The Pit. (You'll have to check my site for that...along with the maples interview). Finally, Tobacco Road was its stunning, showstopping self. You could bury me in a mound off the first fairway when I pass on and my spirit could play every moonlit eve and every day I could watch the "fools we mortals be" make our rounds.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Robert Thompson said...

Sorry to hear that Erik. So kind of you to drop by...I've corrected it, added some links to some stories and attempted to fix my spelling. Hope that helps make your reading experience more enjoyable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker