Friday, October 07, 2005

New Bond Head course set to go

Had a nice chat with Jason Straka today, the architect who created the first Bond Head course and is hard at work finishing the second. He says it may be his best work in Canada to date -- and that includes the strong Dundarave course in PEI and the Georgian Bay Club, which I picked as the second best new course in Canada for Golf Digest this year. Straka seems to have an interesting style -- wide fairways, fascinating bunkering which he isn't afraid to throw into the middle of fairways, and fairly wild greens. It is an great mix -- I'm on record as saying I'm a fan of Bond Head (with one of two minor quibbles) and I'd be delighted to see the second course turn out better than the first.
Hopefully, as Bond Head as drastically reduced its prices in recent months, more people will get to this north Toronto course to check it out. $185 was too much, but $100 is a pretty good deal. There are some exceptional holes at Bond Head -- like the second, 10th, and 18th, which are rock-solid fours. Once the fescue lining the fairways is thinned a bit and the course matures, I think this could be a sleeper.
Jason is in town soon, and hopefully I'll find time to tour the new course. I'll report back what I've seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker