Thursday, February 09, 2006

Stanley Thompson golf

As my Canadian readers surely know, and many of my American friends will also be aware, Stanley Thompson was Canada's preeminent golf designer. He died 53 years ago, but his courses -- places like Highlands Links, St. George's and Banff -- remain legendary homes of golf.

Anyway, an associate, Chris Parker, has compiled a website that lists all of the courses Thompson was supposed to have had some involvement with and attached the relevant websites. It is an impressive site for the information Chris has brought together on this vast array of courses, some of which I'd never heard of and was intrigued to see still claim some relationship to Thompson's work. I hope to seek a few of them out this summer.

On the other side, here is the website for the Stanley Thompson Society. I've never joined the society, though it is a worthwhile cause. I might do so this year. However, the organization's website is lacking in much of the detail Parker offers. For example, I couldn't find a list of Thompson courses that are actually members of the society. And in Thompson's course list, the society includes Brantford Golf & Country Club, a course that was built by Thompson's brother, Nicol. I know this to be true, as I've seen the advertisement for the course in a 1922 edition of Canadian Golfer, where Nicol listed it among the courses he designed.

4 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link to the site is not working properly. It is www.stanleythompson.freeservers.com for anyone looking to view the site in the meantime.

Mikejb

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Rob, thanks!

Chris

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Robert Thompson said...

All is working now....enjoy Chris' hard work.

RT

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Robert and Chris
I went to Chris' site/list the other day; it was great, and great fun, and full of neat surprises...my favourite being Wasaga Sands, which I've played a dozen times over the last couple of summers, partly because my brother has a small cottage near there and partly 'cause it costs like 22 bucks for 18 during the week, and when you're finished the the beer costs two dollars a bottle. The 9th hole there is a neat par 5, and even the cart path that zig zag across it and all over the place can't mar it...and I'd never heard any one mention that Thompson association...

Thanks again
Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker