Tuesday, October 11, 2005

  • Harding Park -- worth $16M? That's the question Geoff Shackelford asked in his column at Golfobserver.com last week. This week he's talking about other munis that could benefit from the same sort of exposure that Harding Park received. It is worthy of a read.
  • Had a chance recently to play Devil's Pulpit recently. It is one of the first courses Michael Hurdzan and Dana Fry designed in Canada and was a really, really big deal when it first opened well more than a decade ago now. I had played it once before, but that was almost a decade ago and I was surprised to remember more than I expected to. In fact, several of the holes had left quite an impression on me. Interestingly, several of the short fives (the 1st and the 18th) have been changed to fours and the course now plays as a par 71. The only issue with this is that you now have some very long fours with greens that were set up to receive short irons. It makes the 1st especially difficult. But I didn't find the course to be as tricked up and target-like as I recalled. In fact, this is very much a second shot course, forcing players to hit to spots on greens. Though its sister course, the links-like Paintbrush, has received most of the accolades in recent years, the Pulpit was better than I expected and found it to be a lot of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker