Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes


Well, I've been hinting at it for a while, but yesterday it was official: I handed my resignation to the National Post, the Canadian national newspaper where I have been on staff since 2000. It was a tough decision, but one I made for a variety of reasons, some personal, some professional.
The result is this -- though I'm no longer on staff at the paper, I will remain as golf columnist. For those who don't read the Post, for most of the last six years I've written full-time as a business reporter, and I've interviewed the likes of Bill Gates, Carly Fiorina and others, and played golf with many of the country's top executives and politicians. Oh, and I also covered golf as a part-time arrangement, freeing up time to work on columns around my regular duties.
My new arrangement means I have a signed contract to write a weekly golf column for the paper starting in late March and running through to October.
The hope is this new relationship with the Post will allow me to pursue more golf writing, do some communications and business consulting, and work on another book (in the Fall). The reality is I have a lot of golf writing this year that is already assigned and will take up plenty of my time. There are also some golf book projects in the works.
This blog is also part of the overall plan. Expect to see some bold changes in the next while, a situation I'm currently working on. The aim is to bring this blog to a wider readership (from hundreds daily to thousands), allowing me to explore new areas with it. I'll let you know how it progresses.
Anyway, thanks for reading, now on with the golf....

9 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert,
good for you, and congratulations! that sounds like the ideal situation for a writer: a contract in hand for a steady gig, and enough free time to do other and diverse writing (which other and diverse writing sure comes easier when the steady gig's there in the background)...
enjoy!
P

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new arrangement with the Post. I'm sure your wife will love you for it in the winter, and your golf clubs will love you for it in the summer!!!

Have Fun!!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations for following your heart. Good luck Robert.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Robert Thompson said...

Very kind remarks from all of you... now if you know of anyone who has work for an unemployed golf/business writer....
Actually, I'm hoping this arrangement will work out and I'm looking into work and writing opportunities currently. But thanks again for the nice comments.

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert,

I wish you the best in your new endeavours.

I look forward to more (hopefully not less) of your golf writings in the future.

Being from the GTA, I really appreciate you giving the local scene the comments we crave.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Robert Thompson said...

Once more, I appreciate all of your comments. It will be interesting year, that much I'm certain of.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta admire a man with 'stones' Robert. I am sure things will work out fine. Look forward to the continued changes on my frequent blog visits.

Dave K

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger A WALK IN THE PARK said...

Rob, you are one of the good ones - an honor role member through and through. I wish you and syd the kid and the Mrs all the best. Lets play golf soon.
Jay

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Robert Thompson said...

I look forward to that Jay.
Andrew -- when are we going to Cruden? Sign me up!
Ian -- all the best and look forward to playing golf in the spring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker