Saturday, February 11, 2006

The greatness of Pebble Beach


I've only walked the course, though it looked pretty stunning to me. Many feel Pebble Beach only sports greatness along the ocean holes. Ron Whitten, Golf Digest's architecture critic, used to be one of them. Now he's changed his opinion.

But then I played Pebble again, and came away doubting my own prior judgment. I couldn't find six bad holes out there. I couldn't even figure out which were the six I'd always considered as ordinary.



Pebble will likely decide whether Mike Weir comes out on top after 18 months in the wilderness. See Ron's story here.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've played Pebble, The Old Course, Royal Dornoch, Carnoustie, Highland Links, St Georges and other prominent courses...and Pebble is by far the most spectacular. The Ocean feels like it is always beside you...even on the inland holes. An absolute gem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker