Thursday, March 03, 2005

Hole in one

Interesting story about Kathie Grimsby and her remarkable accomplishment of scoring two hole-in-ones in the same round.
I have two myself, though I can't say I was lucky enough to make them in the same round.
The first was in Myrtle Beach in 1998, a year after I graduated from Journalism School. It was 167-yards on the first par three on the front nine of a forgettable track called Deer Ridge. The cool part about it was that I bought a ticket for charity on the tee that entitled me to $1,000 for my ace and the chance to shoot for a million later on. Of course a hurricane hit the weekend I was supposed to head south, so that never happened.
However, I did make another ace in 2003, again in an unusual round. At a fine course called
Copper Creek, I played the first three holes in even par. I managed a birdie on the par five fourth, then chipped in for birdie on the fifth, another par four. That brought me to the sixth, a devilish little par three created by Ian Andrew of Carrick Design.
At the recommendation of a maintenance worker fixing the front bunker, I hit a gap wedge in an attempt to put my ProV close on the 116-yard hole. The shot flew over the bunker and landed in a blind area of the green. It wasn't until the maintenance worker got out to inspect the shot that we realized it was in. I made bogey on the next hole, with one put, then chipped in again on the seventh. That meant I played four holes with a single putt.
The great thing about the round was that I went into the final hole, a par five, needing birdie to break par for the first time. A well hit driver and three wood later, I sat on the green in two. Two putts later I carded a 71. The card, and the ball, sit in my collection in my basement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker